Family-Based Immigration

What is it? 

Family-Based immigration means immigrating to the US based on a relationship with a US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder). This is one way noncitizens can change their status and get a green card. There are a number of steps are involved in this process. The first step is the US citizen or permanent resident family member files an application for the noncitizen.

Common Categories

Petitions for immediate relatives of US citizens. This includes spouse, unmarried children under 21, and parents.

Petitions for other relatives.

How can we help?

Powers Law Group has personal experience through family-based immigration and this helps provide a greater level of service for our clients.  The firm has dedicated a lot of its focus to family-based immigration and has had a very high success rate for related petitions. Furthermore, the firm has experience with consular processing in many countries as well as substantial knowledge of and success with inadmissibility waivers which are often associated with family-based petitions.

Call Powers Law Group, P.C. at (713) 589-2085 or write for assistance today.

Success Stories

Removal of Conditions: approved in 5 months without Request for Evidence

Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status – June 2014 – same-sex couple approved at interview!

Sibling of US Citizen – October 2013 – Reopened and approved case. Client filed a petition in 2003 but never received an approval and the case was closed without notification. Once hired, we made several inquires to the government. After several months, we were able to get the case re-opened and approved days later!

Immediate Relatives of US Citizens

Immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen’s: spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if the U.S. citizen is over 21)

Immediate relatives have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories.

Read more about immediate relative of a U.S. citizen on the USCIS website.

Adjustment of Status for Immediate Relatives

Certain immediate relatives of US citizens are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) while inside the United States. These relatives are allowed to file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status in order to become a permanent resident while their U.S. citizen petitioner files the Petition for Alien Relative.

Learn more here.

To determine whether you could qualify to apply for this benefit, please contact us to schedule a consultation appointment. Call us at 713-589-2085

Petitions for Fiance(e)s – K-1 Visa

Click here to learn more

Marriage-Based Immigration – New Marriage

If your marriage was less than 2 years old on the day you received permenant resident status, you are given conditional resident status.Your status is described as “conditional” because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States. After 1 years, you will need to apply for Removal of Conditions.

Our firm has experience applying for Removal of Conditions for spouses and would be happy to help you. Contact the firm to learn more.

Adopted Children

Adopting a child from another country is often a difficult, complex and lengthy process. Depending on whether you want to adopt a child from a country belonging to The Hague Convention or not, Powers Law Group P.C. will explain the process to you in detail and help you make the correct decision.

 Please contact us today for a consultation appointment.


Petitions for Other Relatives

If your relationship does not qualify you as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, then you may be in what is called a “family preference category.”

Eligible relatives of US citizens include: unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married child(ren) of any age, brothers and sisters (if the U.S. citizen petitioner is over the age of 21)

Conversely, a permanent resident may petition for his/her spouse and unmarried child(ren) of any age to immigrate to the United States. Permanent Residents CANNOT petition for married children, siblings or parents.

How long do we have to wait?

Depending on the family preference category, check the Department of State’s Visa Bulletin.

A common category is family member of a legal permanent resident (green card holder), this includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder.

Other special categories include: battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen