Finding the Right Immigration Attorney for Your Asylum Case
By Board Certified Immigration Attorney Ruby L. Powers
January 3, 2017
Every asylum case is unique. Due to the nature of these cases it can be difficult to find the right attorney that can help you. It is advised to get an attorney to assist you with your case considering the complexity of the process. When inquiring with immigration attorneys, there are several things to consider. Here are some general tips or questions to keep in mind at your consultation;
- What is the approval rate of the attorney’s asylum applications?
- How many asylum applications has the attorney filed and what was the success rate for those applications?
- Are these cases affirmative or defensive (court)?
- How long has this attorney been in practice and how much of their practice is immigration law?
- Look into how long the attorney has been practicing law and how many of those years have been dedicated to immigration law
- Generally, if the attorney doesn’t practice a majority of immigration law, it can be difficult to keep up with all the changes in the law
- Does this attorney have knowledge of my country?
- Ask the attorney questions about your country. Gauge their knowledge of the current economic, political and social environment of your country.
- For affirmative asylum cases, will the attorney prepare me and attend the interview with me?
- Inquire if the attorney offers interview preparation and whether they will attend the interview with you
- You and/or your attorney may need to travel to the Asylum office that has jurisdiction over your case. Make sure to discuss travel arrangements for both parties in advance
When making your choice for an attorney, be cognizant of these factors as they will help you be more productive in effectively communicating and laying out your case before USCIS officials.
The Powers Law Group offers asylum immigration assistance.
- Our firm has a high success rate for affirmative asylum cases
- Attorney Powers has been practicing for 8 years and Attorney Muniz for 4 years
- The firm has experience with clients from the following countries: Venezuela, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Kyrgyzstan, Rwanda, Pakistan, Nepal, Zimbabwe, El Salvador, China, Nigeria, Palestine, Angola, Turkey, Jordan, Palestine, Honduras, and more
- As part of our services we include case development, application and supporting document submission as well as a legal brief, client preparation and attorney attendance to the interview
To learn more about asylum law and immigration law, contact our asylum lawyers and immigration lawyers in Houston today.