September 26th, 2010
I wrote earlier in the summer about USCIS’ plans and proposed rule to increase certain filing fees. The final rule was published recently in the Federal Register and the new increased filing fees are set to go into effect on November 23, 2010.
Increases (and a few decreases) in USCIS Filing Fees
- Form I-90 (replacement of green card) filing fee increases from $290 to $365;
- Form I-129 (used for H, L, P, O visas) filing fee increases from $320 to $325;
- Form I-129F (used for fiancee visas) filing fee decreases from $455 to $340;
- Form I-130 (family-based immigrant visas) filing fee increases from $355 to $420;
- Form I-131 (reentry permits and advance parole documents) filing fee increases from $305 to $360;
- Form I-140 (employment-based immigrant visas) filing fee increases from $475 to $580;
- Form I-290B (motion to reopen/appeal) filing fee increases from $585 to $630;
- Form I-485 (adjustment of status) filing fee increases from $930 to $985;
- Form I-539 (change or extension of status) filing fee decreases from $300 to $290;
- Form I-751 (removal of condition) filing fee increases from $465 to $505;
- Form I-765 (work permit) filing fee increases from $340 to $380;
- Form I-824 (action on approved petition, follow-to-join) increases from $340 to $405;
- Form I-907 (premium processing) increases from $1,000 to $1,225;
- Biometrics processing fee increases from $80 to $85.
All of these fee changes become effective on November 23, 2010. All applications or petitions mailed, postmarked, or otherwise filed on or after November 23, 2010 must include the new fee.
We will not comment on the fairness and the justifications of the new fees. We hope that the new fees will result in increased efficiency and accuracy in USCIS adjudications.
We urge our clients and readers, if possible, to prepare and file any upcoming petitions and applications for benefits before the new fees become effective in approximately two months on November 23rd. As with previous fee increases, we expect increased workload of filings so please contact us as soon as possible so that we can ensure we can prepare and file your case on time before the filing fee increase becomes effective on November 23rd.