Citizenship and Naturalization

Citizenship and Naturalization

The US welcomes you

The United States has a long history of welcoming immigrants from all parts of the world. America values the contributions of immigrants who continue to enrich this country and preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity.

Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions in an individual’s life. If you decide to apply to become a U.S. citizen, you will be showing your commitment to the United States and your loyalty to its Constitution. In return, you are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship.

How does one become a citizen?

Individuals become a US citizen either at birth or after birth. To become a citizen at birth, an individual was either born in the United States, born outside the US if both parents are US citizens and other requirements are met. Additionally, an individual may become a U.S. citizen after birth through your parents by “deriving” citizenship from them if they naturalize or applying independently.

Ways foreign nationals can become citizens:

  • Applying for US Citizenship
  • Military personnel
  • Acquired US Citizenship
  • Re-acquiring relinquished or abandoned citizenship

Success Stories

June 2016
Client Naturalized after 3 months
May 2015

Client Naturalized after 4 months

Ways foreign nationals can become citizens:

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

  • You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, please visit the General Path to Citizenship
  • You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen, please visit the For Spouses of U.S. Citizens
  • You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. Visit the Military section of USCIS’s website.
  • Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.
In addition, you will have to demonstrate that you have been a person of Good Moral Character as well as meet the physical US residency requirements. During the interview process, you will need to successfully pass the naturalization test. For more information, please contact us today for a consultation.

Military Personnel

If you are currently on Active Duty within any of the branches of US Armed Forces, you and/or your spouse may qualify for expedited processing of your application for US Citizenship. You may also be interviewed and naturalized overseas at certain U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and military installations and you may request overseas processing at any time in the naturalization process. At Powers Law Group, P.C. we proudly serve those who serve us, and it would be our privilege to help you with this process.

Acquired, Derived, and Automatic US Citizenship

If you were born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, you may be a U.S. citizen depending on the year you were born, your actual legal status, your parent’s previous residency in the United States and other requirements. Powers Law Group, P.C. also has experience in establishing US citizenship through grandparents. Please contact us for a consultation.

Re-acquiring Relinquished or Abandoned US Citizenship

Whether voluntarily or involuntarily, certain US citizens may relinquish or abandon their US citizenship. You may automatically lose your US citizenship if you:

  • Formally renounce your citizenship (by following established procedures)
  • Become a naturalized citizen in another country after you turn 18 years old
  • Take some jobs with a foreign government after you turn 18
  • Serve in the armed forces of a foreign country, under certain circumstances
  • Commit treason against the US

At Powers Law Group, P.C., we have assisted former US citizens in successfully re-establishing their citizenship.

For more information, please contact us to schedule a consultation appointment. Call Powers Law Group, P.C. at (713) 589-2085 or write [email protected]

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation

Fill out some details below or contact our office directly at (713) 589-2085 for a consultation with one of our experienced immigration attorneys.