Consular Processing

Consular Processing

What is it?

Consular Processing is applying to legally immigrate to the US from a consulate located outside the US. If you are outside the US and wanting to immigrate to the US, you must use this process. If you are already in the US, they can either Adjust Status in the US or they might have to return to their country to Consular Process depending on the circumstances of their case.

Common Types

  • K-1 Visa: Fiancé Visa
  • K-2 Visa: Child of fiancé visa
  • K-3 Visa: Spouse of a US citizen
  • K-4 Visa: Child of Spouse of US Citizen

How we can help

Contact the Powers Law Group, P.C. to learn more about Consular Processing and petitioning for your loved ones.
Call at (713) 589-2085 or write [email protected].

For more information, contact our immigration lawyers and asylum attorneys.

Success Stories

Consular Processing – Immediate Relative – Rio de Janiero, Brazil – January 2013
Firm assisted US citizen husband in obtaining immediate relative visa for Brazilian wife – In 6 months, we went from I-130 to visa appointment approval!
Consular Processing – Immediate Relative – Bogota, Colombia

Firm assisted US citizen husband in obtaining immediate relative visa for Colombian wife.

Consular Processing – Immediate Relative – Moscow, Russia

Firm assisted US citizen wife in obtaining immediate relative visa for Russian husband.

Consular Processing – Immediate Relative – Guangzhou, China

Firm assisted US citizen husband in obtaining immediate relative visa for Chinese wife after failed pro se attempt at the fiancee visa.

  • K-1/K-2 Visas:


  • If you are an American citizen and you want your foreign fiancé to travel to the US to marry you and live in the U.S., you must file the Petition for Alien Fiancé in the US
  • A fiancé is a person who is engaged or contracted to be married
  • Marriage must be legally possible according to the laws of the state in the US where the marriage will take place
  • In general, the two people must have met in person within the last 2 years, but the Department of Security’s US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants some exceptions to this requirement
  • Sometimes the USCIS considers a person a fiancé even though a marriage contract has been concluded. In such cases, the American citizen petitioner and his/her spouse have not met, and they have not consummated the marriage.
  • K-3/K-4 Visas:


  • If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you can come to the U.S. with a nonimmigrant K-3 visa
  • If you are the child of the spouse of a U.S. citizen and your parent has been issued a k-3 visa, you can be issued a k-4 nonimmigrant visa
  • Both the K-3 and K-4 visas allow you to stay in the US while our immigrant visa is pending
  • Before a K-4 visa can be issued to a child, the parent must have a K-3 visa or be in K-3 status
  • A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife. Cohabitating partners do not qualify as spouses for immigration purposes.
  • Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law case occurs.

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation

Fill out some details below or contact our office directly at (713) 589-2085 for a consultation with one of our experienced immigration attorneys.