By Board Certified Immigration Attorney and Asylum Attorney Ruby L. Powers
Seeking asylum in the United States comes with many challenges. Many question whether to
hire an immigration attorney or not due to financial constraints and lack of understanding of the process. It
has been proven that those who file with an attorney have a higher success rate. Currently, the
Houston Asylum Office has a 17.5% approval rate for affirmative asylum cases which should
further convince an applicant to have experienced assistance.
With our many years of experience with immigration and asylum law, we understand the
complexity of the asylum process. Powers Law Group has been able to detect the reasons why
having a competent immigration attorney will play a vital role in the development of an asylum
The importance of having an attorney guide you through the process is to prevent your
application from being incomplete or incorrect, which can lead to delays in your asylum process.
With an attorney, the firm works together to gather the important and necessary evidence that
can make your case stronger and increase your chances of having a favorable result. The
participation of an attorney at the interview is very important because it lowers the risk of your
application from being denied and/or transferred to an immigration court for removal
At Powers Law Group, the attorneys will provide the following support during your
asylum interview process:
- Prepare any supplements in advance that will be needed for the interview as well as
perfect the declaration in support of your asylum application.
- Prepare detailed country reports that will support your asylum claim.
- Prepare the applicant to manage their expectations with mock interviews over the course
of several hours.
- Prepare the applicant for tough probing questions which will give the applicant time to
gather thoughts and memories before the interview.
- Help the applicant maximize the average time of the interview. For example, the average
time of an asylum interview is between 2 to 4 hours; the attorney will ensure all of the
essential facts are covered during that time.
- During the interview, the attorney will actively engage with the officer to provide him or
her with the proper guidance in regards to your asylum claim.
- Keep a record of all the questions and answers that were conducted during the interview
in case the application gets sent to immigration court.
- Remind the applicant of key events that will help their case while the applicant might
- Act as a bridge between the asylum officer and the applicant in transferring a lot of
information in a short period of time.
- Conclude the asylum interview by presenting the asylum officer with a closing statement
that will emphasize and summarize your case and the current conditions in your country
that will prevent you from returning.
The positives of having an attorney assist you throughout the asylum process are countless. We
want to make this process as easy and quick for you as possible. Effective legal representation
can go a long way. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. To learn more about asylum law and immigration law, contact our asylum lawyers and immigration lawyers today.