Powers Law Group, P.C.
May 10, 2016
By Texas Board Certified Immigration Attorney Ruby L. Powers
When applying for asylum it is important to have an experienced immigration attorney guide the applicant through the process. The asylum process can be very confusing and intimidating to an individual who is not familiar with US law and has never navigated through the system. Because asylum has such important implications regarding the health and safety of individuals who cannot return to their country due to threats of bodily harm and death, it is imperative an attorney is available to guide them through the process for the following reasons:
- An experienced attorney knows how to best present the individual’s claim for asylum. The attorney knows the officer’s expectation and he or she will know the best way to approach the case.
- An attorney will be able to spot any weaknesses in the case and can advise on the best way to approach the case to highlight all the strong points in each specific case.
- The attorney will be able to help with any communication concerns when getting to an asylum interview. The attorney will take the time to prepare the client for what will happen and provide him or her with a clear understanding of the process.
Because asylum is a specialty area of immigration law and not every immigration attorney has experience with asylum. When choosing your attorney and consider the following criteria:
- The attorney’s reputation and standing with them State and immigration bar
- How much experience with asylum (affirmative and defensive/court) the attorney and their firm has
- Whether the attorney has experience with your country and/or your particular social group
Remember that is very dangerous to choose and attorney based solely on legal fee. We have often seen people mislead about their expectations of service with other attorneys. When a fee is presented also ask if that includes interview attendance and interview preparation. Be cautious of whom you hire and remember to consider the attorney’s experience and reputation in conjunction with expected legal fees.
At Powers Law Group, P.C. we have more than 8 years of affirmative and defensive asylum experience representing clients from countries such as Venezuela, Pakistan, Iraq, Nepal, Rwanda, Syria, El Salvador, Zimbabwe and Nigeria to name a few. Many clients hire us from the states that have interviews in the Houston and the new, New Orleans, Asylum offices. We can represent clients remotely via email, phone, mail and Skype. We have staff that speak English, Spanish, French, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Vietnamese, and Russian.
To learn more about Asylum review our website at: http://www.rubypowerslaw.com/services/asylum/